Monday, May 2, 2016

Quinoa Stuffed peppers

I'm not the hugest fan of quinoa but this turned out SO good! :)

1 lb Ground beef/turkey
1/2 onion
1 cup Quinoa (I used organic, cook it as directed on package)
2-3 garlic cloves
1 can diced organic tomatoes
1-2 cans of tomato sauce
1tsp of red pepper flakes (honestly I don't measure I do a couple shakes)
Salt/pepper
1 can or package of corn
4-6 peppers (I used one orange, one yellow, one red, and one green)
1/2- 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (I used Dublin cheddar cheese)

optional:
1 drop thyme young living oil
1 drop basil young living oil

This made a lot! You could use the leftover meat/quinoa as another meal or stuff extra peppers. My kids ages 7 and 10 loved this, and they are picky eaters!

First, cook your ground beef and diced onion in pan, as its cooking I add in seasonings.When meat is completely browned add in red pepper flakes, corn, tomatoes,, cooked quinoa and tomato sauce. simmer together for a few min while you clean and cut the peppers.

Now, you want to clean the outside of peppers thoroughly and cut the top around the stem out. Clean out the seeds and then fill it with the quinoa mixture. This serves as a bowl. You could also cut them in half then put in glass pan. Before placing in the oven take your shredded cheese and sprinkle it over the tops of the peppers. I love cheese! So you made need more or less if you like it less cheesy etc.

Now tent the tin foil over the top so sides are closed but not touching the peppers. Bake 350 degrees for 20 minutes, then take the tin foil off cook for another 5 minutes. I like my peppers crunchy but if you want them softer simply cook for 25-30 min then take the tin foil off and viola!


No comments:

Post a Comment